Tuesday, November 11

November dinner menu

Recently I had a discussion with the kids about food vs. Christmas presents.

It went something like this-
me-"kids if you don't stop eating just because you are bored or taking more food than what you need and wasting the rest there won't be much Christmas this year".
kids
-"okay Mom".
Short conversation huh? I told them that if we can keep the grocery bill to around $600 for the month then I will have Christmas money. If we can't then I don't have any leftover money to buy presents.
Pretty simple.

So I set about getting a dinner menu up to
buy what I need and not a bunch of stuff that doesn't make much more than a snack. It feels really good to know what I am making at the end of the day.
I may even do like Laine does and make part of the dinner meal earlier on in the day, or even better; have one of the kids morning chores be to make part of dinner. that wouldn't really be a chore for my kids though. they would love it.


Dinner Menu til the end of November::
tue/11-salmon and salad
wed/12-hamburger-veggie soup and cheesy biscuits
thur/13-sub sandwiches
Fri/14-homemade pizza
sat/15-roast chicken, carrots, potatoes--maybe gravy
sun/16- leftovers (just me here)

mon/17-red snapper, pasta Alfredo
tue/18-chicken enchilada
wed/19-Salisbury steak, mashed potatoes, gravy, corn
thur/20-spaghetti
fri/21-oven fried chicken, homemade mac n' cheese
sat/22-beef stew (kinda like an Irish stew)
sun/23-hamburgers, oven fries
mon/24-cheesy corn chowder, cheesy bread sticks
tue/25-beef enchiladas
wed/26-sloppy lasagna
thur/27-Thanksgiving
fri/28-chicken or turkey pot pie casserole
sat/29-tacos
sun/30-
taco soup with cheese and corn chips

I went shopping today for most of the ingredients I needed. Some of it was laready around here like whole chickens that were on sale last month.
I did go over my budget by about $40. I think that was because I bought a few things that I knew would save me money next month because they were on sale now and I know we would be eating it. Like, salad dressing from Kraft that tastes like Catalina but has big chunks of bacon in it at the Grocery Outlet for $1.59 a bottle. I grabbed 4. Also this month is a bit more because of things like pumpkin pie, etc.

Overall, I am quite happy with having everything I need; barring one of the kids doesnt eat it before it is that night. But thats a whole nother blog post right?
Lori

1 comment:

CynthiaAvaDevta said...

Oh, yes. We are all on the same page here. Believe it or not, I was spending almost that much per month and it's just my daughter and me. And yes, I have recently reevaluated how I shop. The price of groceries here is ridiculously high. I've started to do a little bit of meal planning as I shop. This week, so far...we have stayed withing the budget of $80/week for the two of us. All meals included.
I'll keep working on it. Thanks for the inspiration.