Monday, June 30

more on breakfast...

Several times now I have thought of taking a photo of our breakfast *porridge*. I wanted to share how in the past the majority of us here would get stomach aches and not feel full quickly after eating oatmeal for breakfast. About 5 years ago I bought the cookbook (gold mine) Nourishing Traditions when we had a local Weston A. Price group.
When the oats soak overnight they become easier to digest for several reasons stated in the cookbook.
I would love to put them on here but will paraphrase because of the length of them-
**All grains contain phytic acid in the outer layer or bran. Untreated phytic acid can combine with calcium, magnesium, copper, iron and especially zinc in the intestinal tract and block their absorption.
**soaking allows enzymes, lactobacilli and other helpful organisms to break down and neutralize phytic acid.

Nourishing Traditions recipe for Breakfast Porridge-
1 cup oats, rolled or cracked
1 cup warm filtered water plus 2 Tablespoons whey, yoghurt, kefir or buttermilk
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 cup filtered water

For highest assimilation porridge should be soaked overnight or even longer. Once soaked, oatmeal cooks up in less than 5 minutes. (those with milk allergies can use lemon juice or vinegar instead of whey, yogurt, kefir, or buttermilk)
Mix oats with warm water mixture, cover and leave in a warm place for at least 7 hours and as long as 24 hours. When ready to eat bring 1 cup of water to boil with sea salt. add soaked oats, reduce heat, cover and simmer several minutes. Serve with plenty of butter or cream and a natural sweetener like sucanat, date sugar, maple sugar, or maple syrup.

My variation of above recipe-

dump desired amount of oats in a bowl
cover oats with warm water (preferably filtered)
add in yogurt or lemon juice
stir and cover til morning

cover the bottom of a pan with water and bring to a boil
add in soaked oats, stir and lower heat
stir til they turn slightly opaque
add in butter, evaporated cane sugar, maple syrup, or organic brown sugar
other optional additions-
ground flax seeds, cinnamon, fruit, raisins

BTW...butter is one of the factors to help a person not to feel hungry so soon after- this link has many of the benefits of butter. I haven't read all of the other stuff on there thoroughly so I am not in any way trying to sell any products but do endorse butter.
You can see from Sophie's bowl what she thinks of this way of making oatmeal. She wouldn't touch the stuff before this past year; when I showed her how creamy it is. This is one of the easiest ways to make breakfast for me....I sleep better at night knowing breakfast is being prepared and will be a snap to make in the morning.
I know I am cheesy.
If you try it, share back here the different variation you used to inspire the rest of us. :o)
Lori

2 comments:

CynthiaAvaDevta said...

Oh, oatmeal is so yummy. I consider it a soothing food. Healing, too. My little one loves plain ol'oatmeal for breakfast. I use the "quick oats" variety when I shop in the supermarket. If I'm at the health food store I'll buy it in bulk. The soaking method is interesting. I kinda like the texture of oatmeal in the rough, but I'm going to give this a try. Do you think I should soak the quick oats, too?
The toppings my daughter loves are a big lump of butter (to bulk it up), cinnamon and agave nectar. She also loves maple syrup drizzled over the top. In this case, we don't use the agave. Thanks for this post. I am a single mom and enjoy reading how other women take care of their families...especially when it comes to food.

lissilulu said...

Hi Cindy, I have soaked the quick oats and they come even creamier than rolled oats. I don't know how that will be to your taste if you like it rough but maybe the benefits of them being soaked will win ya over. ;o)
I am a single mom too. I love hearing about how other women take care of their families for the same reasons you do. If I can find a more nutritious and easy way from another mom it is like gold to me.
Lori